Fat Free! Low Sodium! High Protein! High Fibre! Full of Vitamins and Minerals!
Follows Cardiac and Diabetic Diet
Serving size 1 cup: approx. 22 g Protein! 20g Fibre! That’s Amazing!
3 cups of Beans and Lentils of your choice. This dish has:
- Pinto beans
- Dark Red Kidney Beans
- Green lentils
- Black eyed beans
Vegetables of your choice:
- Tomatoes – at least 4 cups diced
- Peppers – Green, Red, Yellow
Seasonings: Add to your taste. Here are some suggestions below, but there are many sodium free seasonings that you can add to chili.
- Chili powder 1-2 tbsp
- Garlic powder
- Allow Dry Beans and Lentils to soak in cold water for 12 hours over night. Add 3 cups of water for every cup of beans.
- Quick Soak Method: Add 3 cups of water for every cup of beans. Slowly bring to a boil gently for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hr.
- Discard water after soaking.
- Chop all of your vegetables as desired.
- Note: You can used canned ingredients for this recipe, however the recipe will no longer be a No Salt added recipe.
- First allow your onions and garlic to simmer in a small amount of oil as it lightly browns.
- Then add in your vegetables and beans + lentils.
- Also add your seasonings as desired.
- Bring to a slow boil until beans are soft and vegetables look cooked. Approx 30min.
- You may want to add more seasoning as desired!
This recipe makes a HUGE batch. You will have extra. This is a great dish to freeze and eat on those nights that you just don’t feel like cooking.
Note: If your body is not used to this amount of fibre watch the serving size, and drink lots of water! hehe