Quinoa is a great grain!
It is a source of protein (which is odd for a grain), and high in fibre.
I decided to come up with a recipe of my own which has a savory and sweet taste!
After searching multiple websites for recipes, seeing what foods went well with quinoa this is what I came up with…
- Quinoa – 1 cup ( I used half a cup of red quinoa and half a cup of regular)
- Beans and lentils – 1 cup ( see vegetarian chili recipe on instructions on soaking dry beans and lentils)
- Sweet Pepper (yellow in my dish)
- Crushed Almonds
- Apple – sliced finely
- Lemon Juice
- Chili spice
- Gorgonzola cheese – add to each individual serving
- Boil 2 cups water. Add Quinoa to water, boil. Let cook until plump. Just like how you cook rice.
- Add 1 Tbsp of olive or canola oil to pan. Let onions and garlic simmer.
- Add beans lentils to onions and garlic.
- When well cooked add spinach and sweet peppers.
- Next add Quinoa one scoop at a time to beans, lentils and vegetables. Mix.
- Now add the seasonings : 1 tbsp Cinnamon, 1 tbsp Chili spice, Fresh lemon juice – a lot!
- Add raisins, sliced apples, crushed almonds and mix.
- Add crumbled Gorgonzola cheese to each individual serving.
Voila!! It is delicious!!
This dish is very high in Protein and Fibre.
This is from the Quinoa, Beans and Lentils. Full of nutrients from all ingredients especially the vegetables and fruit. No sodium. Low in fat – only contains healthy fat (1 tbsp olive/canola oil added to pan, and the crushed almonds ).
A very healthy dish!